Save up to 60% on luxury hotels and holidays.
Access and book our deals using just your email
- Secret Escapes approach to privacy
- For the purposes of the Data Protection Act 1998, Secret Escapes Limited is the data controller of personal information we hold about you.
- Personal information we collect about you and how we use it
- We collect personal information about you when you voluntarily submit information directly to us, our site or our app. This can include information you provide to us when you apply to become a member, complete a form, purchase any breaks using our platform, correspond with us, subscribe to our mailing lists, newsletters or other forms of marketing communications, respond to a survey, enter a promotion or use some other feature of our website or app.
- We also collect personal information from you indirectly such as information about the pages you look at on our site or our app or the device you use to view our site or connect to our app with.
- The list below sets out the categories of personal information we collect about you and how we use that information:
Contact details: We collect contact information such as your name, your email address, your telephone number and physical addresses associated with your account or any bookings your place using our service. We will use your contact details so that we can communicate with you directly about the services we provide and about queries, issues or concerns you or other users have.
Booking Information: When you book a break through our platform, or are a member of a group booking made through our platform we may need to collect additional information required to process your booking including passport numbers, information about any disability you have, dietary requirements and/or religious beliefs. We collect this information solely to allow us to process your booking and pass it on to the relevant third parties (such as airlines, hotels and appropriate public authorities) as necessary to complete your travel arrangements.
Comments and opinions: When you contact us directly, e.g. by email, phone, post or by completing an online form we will record your comments and opinions. We will also record comments and opinions you express when responding to surveys, entering competitions or taking part in promotions we run. We will use your comments and opinions to address your queries, issues and concerns and improve our service. We will also use comments and opinions you express (when responding to surveys, entering competitions or taking part in other promotions) to determine offers that may be of interest to you and to send you marketing communications in accordance with your marketing preferences.
Payment and transaction information: We keep records of the breaks you purchase from us and the payment method you use for the transaction. We will use payment and transaction information to process payment for any break you purchase from us. Although we keep records of any transactions you make through the site or app, we do not store any financial details such as your credit card numbers as we use a third party payment provider to process any payments you make through the site. We will also use your transaction information and history to determine travel offers that may be of interest to you and send you marketing in accordance with your marketing preferences.
Website and app login details: Where you create an account with us we will hold your user name and password details so that we can keep your account secure. Where you are provided with the option to log-in using a social network, for example using Facebook, we will not be provided with your password or other account login details for those accounts. We will only be provided with your email and name. We will not post to your social network or to your friends, followers or contacts without your consent.
Your preferences: We hold information about the preferences you set for notifications, marketing communications and how our site and app are displayed to you. We will use your preference settings for the purpose of providing notifications, sending marketing communications and displaying our site in accordance with your choices.
Information about how you use and connect to our site or our app: We collect information about how you use our site or our app such as the pages you view on our site or our app, the time you access our site or our app and how long you use it for, the website from where you came to our site or our app or go to after leaving our site or our app and any selections and choices you make when using our site or our app.
We also collect information about the computer, tablet, smartphone or other electronic device you use to connect to our site or our app. This information can include details about the type of device, unique device identifying numbers, operating systems, browsers and applications connected to our site or our app through the device, your Internet service provider or mobile network, your IP address and your device's telephone number (if it has one).
Typically, the information we collect about how you use or connect to our site is associated with your device and not you as a named individual. However, if you are logged into a registered account you have with us this information may also be associated with you directly.
We use information about how you use and connect to our site and our app to optimise your experience of our site or our app on your device, to determine offers that may be of interest to you for marketing purposes and to assess the success of our marketing campaigns.
Information about your location: Other than information you choose to provide to us, we do not collect information about your precise location. Your device's IP address may help us determine an approximate location. We may use an approximate location to ensure content on our site is relevant to the area, city, state or country you are using your device in. We will not collect or track your exact location without your consent. Where necessary we will seek your consent before using information about your exact location.
Information provided by other users: Sometimes, other visitors to our site or users of our app provide information that is associated with you. We will use personal information about you that is contained in private messages sent to us by other users to fulfil and deliver booking receipts and to respond to any query, issue or concern they raise. Where users of our site or our app want to invite you to use our site, our app or to share information with you about our service or offers we will use personal information that they provide about you to assist them in doing this. We will only do this though where they indicate that you have provided your consent for them to communicate with you in this way.
Information about fraudulent or criminal activity relating to your account: We will use information about fraudulent or criminal activity relating to your use of our site or our app for the purposes of detecting and preventing fraud or crime.
All personal information: We will use all the personal information we collect to monitor and improve our site, our app and our procedures and processes. We also use the personal information we collect to help us develop new products and services. Our use of your personal information in this way will not result in information that was not previously publicly available being made public on our site or through our app.
- At various places on our site or our app you may be requested to enter certain personal information. Personal information that must be provided in order to avail of the booking services offered will be indicated at the time of collection. Other personal information that you are not required to provide in order to receive our services may be voluntarily given and you are free to decide not to give such personal information.
- We may anonymise and aggregate any of the information we collect (so that it does not directly identify you). We may use anonymised information for purposes that include testing our IT systems, research, data analysis, improving our site and developing new products and features.
- Information we share with third parties
- We may share your personal information with the following parties:
(b) Hotel and travel operators: we will share personal information which is required by the hotels and travel operators that you purchase your hotel or package holiday with so that they can arrange your booking.
(c) Service providers and advisors: third parties who provide a service to us. For example, third party service providers help support our IT infrastructure, process payments from you on our behalf, develop analytical information for us about our products, services and marketing and provide professional services such as legal and accountancy services. These third parties will only be allowed to use your personal information in accordance with our instructions and will be required to keep your information secure.
(d) Purchasers of our business: personal information may be disclosed or transferred to buyers or perspective buyers of our business or any of our assets as part of any such sale.
(e) Law enforcement, regulators and other parties for legal reasons: third parties who we are under a legal obligation to disclose your personal information to or to whom we need to disclose your personal information to protect our rights, property or safety or to protect the rights, property or safety of others. For example, we may provide information to the United States Customs and Border Protection agencies if you are travelling to the USA. We may also disclose personal information to third parties to help detect and investigate illegal activities and breaches of any agreement we have with you.
- We do not disclose information about identifiable individuals to anyone else except as set out above. We may provide third parties with aggregate statistical information and analytics about users of our site or our app but we will make sure no one can be identified from this information before we disclose it.
- Marketing and Advertising
- Our service is about providing you with the latest hotel and luxury travel offers. When you sign up to our service, you recognise that we will contact you regularly with information about the travel offers we market. Most marketing messages we send will be by email but occasionally we may also contact you by post or phone. If you are using our app we may also send you push notifications. If you do not want to receive, or wish to reduce, marketing messages from us, you will be able to tell us by changing your marketing preferences in your account.
- You can also change you marketing preference at any time by following the instructions outlined below.
(a) Email – click on the unsubscribe link at the bottom of our marketing emails. If you have an online account with us you may also be able to opt-out of marketing emails through your account settings. You can also visit the “your account” section of our site to manage the frequency of our communications to you. In the “your subscriptions” tab of the “your account” section of the site, you can choose to opt out of receiving communications for a period of time by clicking on the relevant slider. You can also choose to receive reduce the frequency of our emails by choosing the summaries option on the mail preferences slider. You can also unsubscribe here. Once you have chosen your mail preferences, please hit “Save Changes” button to let us know of your preferences.
(b) App push notifications – you can change your push notification preferences at any time in the account settings for the app.
- Where you have given us permission to do so, we may share your contact details with selected third parties so that they can provide you with information about travel offers that they believe may be of interest to you. We will only do this if you have given us your express consent to do so.
- Online Advertising
We, or our advertising partners, use the information that is collected to make sure the adverts you see either on our site, our app or other parties’ websites and apps (where our partners have advertising space) are more relevant to you.
- Storing and transferring your personal information
- Security: we implement appropriate technical and organisational measures to protect your personal information against accidental or unlawful destruction, loss, change, or damage.
- Accessing and correcting your personal information
- You have the following rights in relation to your personal information: (i) the right to be informed about how your personal information is being used; (ii) the right to access the personal information we hold about you; and (iii) the right to request the correction of inaccurate personal data we hold about you and to request the blocking or deletion of your personal information where the processing does not comply with local data protection laws. To exercise any of the above rights, or if you have any questions relating to your rights, please contact us by using the details set out in the "Contacting us" section below. You are able to correct your own details by clicking on "Your account".
- If there is personal information which you think we hold, please contact us using the contact details set out in the “Contacting us” section below. Please provide as much information as you can about the personal information you are looking for and we will be happy to try and help you find it.
- Links to third party sites
Our site may, from time to time, contain links to and from third party websites of our partner networks, advertisers, partner merchants, news publications, retailers and affiliates. If you follow a link to any of these websites, please note that these websites have their own privacy policies and that we do not accept any responsibility or liability for their policies. Please check the individual policies before you submit any information to those websites.
- Changes to this policy
- Notice to you
- Contacting us
Secret Escapes Limited,
What are cookies?
Cookies are small data files that are placed on your computer or mobile device when you visit a website. Cookies are widely used by website owners in order to make their websites work, or to work more efficiently, as well as to provide reporting information.
Cookies set by the website owner (in this case, Secret Escapes) are called "first party cookies". Cookies set by parties other than the website owner are called "third party cookies". Third party cookies enable third-party features or functionality to be provided on or through the website (e.g. like advertising, interactive content and analytics). The parties that set these third-party cookies can recognise your computer both when it visits the website in question and also when it visits certain other websites.
We use first party and third-party cookies for several reasons. Some cookies are required for technical reasons in order for our Websites to operate, and we refer to these as "essential" or "strictly necessary" cookies. Other cookies also enable us to track and target the interests of our users to enhance the experience on our Websites. Third parties serve cookies through our Websites for advertising, analytics and other purposes. This is described in more detail below.
Types of cookie
The specific types of first and third-party cookies served through our Websites and the purposes they perform are described in the table below (please note that the specific cookies served may vary depending on the specific Website you visit):
- Essential website cookies: These cookies are strictly necessary to provide you with services available through our Websites and to use some of its features, such as access to secure areas.
- Performance and functionality cookies: These cookies are used to enhance the performance and functionality of our Websites but are non-essential to their use. However, without these cookies, certain functionality may become unavailable.
- Analytics and customisation cookies: These cookies collect information that is used either in aggregate form to help us understand how our Websites are being used or how effective are marketing campaigns are, or to help us customise our Websites for you.
- Advertising cookies: These cookies are used to make advertising messages more relevant to you. They perform functions like preventing the same ad from continuously reappearing, ensuring that ads are properly displayed for advertisers, and in some cases selecting advertisements that are based on your interests.
- Social networking cookies: These cookies are used to enable you to share pages and content that you find interesting on our Websites through third party social networking and other websites. These cookies may also be used for advertising purposes too.
What about other tracking technologies, like web beacons?
Cookies are not the only way to recognise or track visitors to a website. We may use other, similar technologies from time to time, like web beacons (sometimes called "tracking pixels" or "clear gifs"). These are tiny graphics files that contain a unique identifier that enable us to recognise when someone has visited our Websites or opened an e-mail that we have sent them. This allows us, for example, to monitor the traffic patterns of users from one page within our Websites to another, to deliver or communicate with cookies, to understand whether you have come to our Websites from an online advertisement displayed on a third-party website, to improve site performance, and to measure the success of e-mail marketing campaigns. In many instances, these technologies are reliant on cookies to function properly, and so declining cookies will impair their functioning.
Do you serve targeted advertising?
Third parties may serve cookies on your computer or mobile device to serve advertising through our Websites. These companies may use information about your visits to this and other websites in order to provide relevant advertisements about goods and services that you may be interested in. They may also employ technology that is used to measure the effectiveness of advertisements. This can be accomplished by them using cookies or web beacons to collect information about your visits to this and other sites in order to provide relevant advertisements about goods and services of potential interest to you. The information collected through this process does not enable us or them to identify your name, contact details or other personally identifying details unless you choose to provide these.
How can I control cookies?
In addition, most advertising networks offer you a way to opt out of targeted advertising. If you would like to find out more information, please visit http://www.aboutads.info/choices/ or http://www.youronlinechoices.com.
How often will you update this Cookie Statement?
The date at the top of this Cookie Statement indicates when it was last updated.
Where can I get further information?