Glamorous Victorian hotel stay in York
Save up to 60% on luxury hotels and holidays.
Access and book our deals using just your email
Superior Twin room
A stylish stay at a revamped Victorian hotel with pool and gym right next to York railway station - includes full English breakfast, three-course dinner and late check-out
- Housed in a Victorian building dating to 1878, The Principal York is a marvellous base for those visiting the medieval marvel that is York. Dripping regal splendour, from grand staircases to crystal chandeliers, the hotel has been refurbished by award-winning interior architects Goddard Littlefair to make your stay a little more opulent.
- It’s all exposed brick, pendant lighting, dark woods, and a trendy vibe at The Refectory Kitchen & Terrace - the signature restaurant that celebrates the best ingredients from York and the surrounding area. Equally worth your attention is the Chapter House pub for wines and craft beers, and the pillared Garden Room for afternoon teas.
- In the hotel's basement, you'll find a heated swimming pool for those morning laps or an evening soak, as well as a sauna, steam room and Jacuzzi for added luxe. There's a state-of-the-art gym as well, for those who don't want to break routine.
- Three restaurants and bars
- Fitness centre
- Steam room
- Indoor pool
- On-site parking (at extra cost)
How to get there
The Principal York is 200 miles from London, and 70 miles from Chester. By car, take exit 44 on the M1 and head towards York. By train, it takes about two hours from London, with the nearest station to the hotel being York station. From there, it's just a five-minute walk.
We source flights from all major scheduled and low cost airlines to offer you a full choice of airlines, departure airports and flight times.
You can choose to add a flight to this hotel. Just select the dates you want to book your stay from the calendar and choose ‘Hotel + Flights’
On the next page you can choose the departure airport, time and airline and price that is convenient to you
When you buy a hotel with a flight with us you are financially protected under the ATOL scheme.
If you need any support booking this holiday, please contact 0207 887 2772 (Mon - Sun 8am to 8pm)
If you wish to make a flight only booking, or add a flight to an existing hotel booking with us, call our reservations team on 0343 227 0007 (Mon-Fri 9-6, Saturday 10-5, Sun closed)
Can't commit to booking right now?
Hold a date for only £25 while you decide.
- Pay £25 to hold a date until the end of the sale.
- If you choose to buy it, the money will go towards your purchase, if not, the cash will be credited to your Secret Escapes account.
Important: Please note, this is not a deposit, complete or guaranteed booking; holding the date simply prevents other members from swooping in and booking your preferred date while you're still having a think about it. Secret Escapes will not be liable for expenses incurred should that date not be available to book and a hold is cancelled.
For more details, please see our FAQ page.